The stained glass-filled interior (at top) of Washington Memorial Chapel
VALLEY FORGE PA – The 2017 Frank P. Law Summer Carillon Concert Series for the Washington Memorial National Carillon at Washington Memorial Chapel in Valley Forge will begin in July (2017), the chapel announced.
Concerts are held every Wednesday at 7:30, and start July 5. This year’s series features performers from across the nation, including one Russian-born carillonneur. Some performers are new to Valley Forge; some are returning favorites, and the popular Irish Thunder Pipes & Drums bagpipe band will perform music of the British Isles again on Aug. 16. The series end Aug. 30.
- These events have been added to The Post Publications calendar.
All concerts are about an hour long, free, open to the public, and presented played rain or shine. Visitors are encouraged to bring a blanket, lawn chair, snacks or dinner. The Chapel Cabin Shop will be open for refreshments and souvenirs.
Washington Memorial National Carillon is located inside Valley Forge National Historical Park at Washington Memorial Chapel, Route 23, Valley Forge. For information, visit its website, here.
Scheduled concerts include:
- July 5: Jim Fackenthal, St. Chrysostom’s Episcopal Church, Chicago;
- July 12: Kipp Cortez, Concord University, Athens WV
- July 19: Wesley Arai, University of California, Berkeley CA
- July 26: Thomas Le, University of California, Berkeley CA
- Aug. 2: Lynnli Wang, Netherlands Carillon, Arlington VA
- Aug. 9: John Widmann, The City of Frederick MD
- Aug. 16: Music of the British Isles: Doug Gefvert, Washington Memorial Chapel, Valley Forge; Pennsylvania Irish Thunder Pipes & Drums, Swedesburg PA
- Aug. 23: Tatiana Lukyanova, First Church of Christ, Congregational, New Britain CT
Aug. 30: Doug Gefvert, Washington Memorial Chapel, Valley Forge PA